Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Wearable Tech: Looking at patches and understanding them


Today I looked for tutorials and introductions on patches to refresh my mind from before the holidays. These ones were easiest to follow and they're the basic things I'll need to know for jitter.

The first one above was really good for getting to know the basic buttons that you can get and what you can do with them. It's really thorough as it's in step by step style. In pictures of the patches they show you it has comments explaining what's happening and what each button does as well so that made it a whole lot easier for me to understand.

This makes me think of programming for creativity to be honest. That class is confusing, hard to understand, and annoying for me. Mostly because I have no clue what the lectures are talking about and Daniel is rather confusing when he tries to explain things to me >.> It's hard to understand a giant wall of text projected on the screen which tries to be engaging but fails on multiple levels because it's incredibly boring. It tries to explain how to use a structure using a million slides when a page in the book can explain it to you and make you understand how. Worse, there are no pictures so 99% of the time you won't actually know what's happening. So then I don't want to make him feel bad by saying that straight to his face so I don't say anything >.> Which probably isn't good for anyone to be honest.

So yea, there's my mini rant on something that has nothing to do with the project D: Felt fantastic letting all that out though.


The second one
was specific to using jitter. That one shows you how to add a movie with movie controls like we did in class. Which is good because like the first introduction it does it step by step as well. This one really helped with remembering what we did before the holidays. It doesn't just show you what to do, it explains the little things in a general way so that you can apply it to other patches as well. After this one I found a tutorial on adding video effects to it. Just like we did in class, but easier to understand because you can read it at whatever pace you want and the pictures will still be there to help you. I'm not sure how useful this tutorial will be to me though because I won't be using cross fade to switch between horror graphics and the film. I would want and sharp cut for that for an appropriate shock effect on the audience. I think one thing I would need from the video effects tutorial would be the full screen one, because I've forgotten how to do that from class D: I think I still have the patch from that time though, so I can probably copy and paste from there.


I wanted to have some computer generated sound for the screen interaction. I remembered the keyboard thing that we did, and thought maybe it would be useful for me. I think if I do that then I can adapt it to do electric sounds. This is a tutorial on what we did in class on another website.

Will look for more patches to help me. I probably will be sticking together bits from patches that I need to make my patch, I will acknowledge all sources of course in a comment box within the patch. I will be sticking together the ones we made in class too.




It's fine to use bits and pieces from other places as long as you acknowledge where it came from and who made it. You'll have to understand how it works too.

No comments:

Post a Comment