Friday, April 22, 2011

Wearable Tech: Soldering practice + output


Did some practice soldering today on a chip I'm not using. Determined to get it right the first time on the real one, so practice would be good for me.


This is the first set. Did it from right to left since I'm left-handed. I improved from last time, the soldering's pretty strong now because even if I pull on the wires really roughly nothing comes off. The first set was good, looks a little messy and some of the wires contact each other though there aren't many which do that.


Second set looked much neater and no wires contact each other in this set. The key is to have an even coating of solder on the wire and to have really still hands when you solder it on to the terminal. Don't put the soldering iron on the terminal for too long or else it will melt and tin the terminals too before doing anything. Make sure that the terminals are clean, do a little extra scraping to make sure so that the solder attaches to it.



As for the output I will be adding new graphics with the movie. I'm thinking when a few certain switches are pressed it would flash certain graphics for a few seconds. I want the effect to be something like this:



I like that effect, but better. I want it to be creepier and colder when my graphics pop up to give a true feeling of fear and repulsion. The theme is anger, desire for revenge, etc; these are horrible feelings and they're actually quite scary because they're so hard to get rid of and it's like a monster growing inside your mind. You don't realise how horrible you've become until later, thus the sudden change of graphics would reflect this.




Practicing really pays off and taking your time will do you more good than harm when you're trying to form your initial idea. I think the output is starting to come together, will need to look at some artists to find some inspiration for graphics and how to get the feel i want.

1 comment: