Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wearable Tech: Soldering and chocolate blocks


After practicing on numerous boards I found lying around I think I'm ready to solder the real one now. So first I checked that there's nothing wrong with the terminals by using a connectivity checker to make sure that they can connect. They can, so after that I looked for which keys I'd want to use.


I picked some terminals that would be the easiest to solder on to and paired them up with other easy-to-solder terminals and tested them to make sure that it wasn't something like a brightness key. Because that would be annoying if during the interactive the screen keeps on getting dimmer/brighter.


Then I noted down which terminal pairs are which keys. For example, the first terminal on the left with the first terminal on the right gives "7".

I soldered the wires on to the correct terminals, after I was finished I tested them again to make sure that they work properly. They were fine so I connected them to some chocolate blocks, once that was over I applied superglue to strengthen the connection of soldering. I didn't want to use hot glue because I think superglue would already be enough to strengthen it.


I feel really pleased with myself that I got everything done correctly on the first go. I think the practicing I did really helped and not rushing as well. More good news is that my good habits are starting to come back, hopefully I'll be all ready by Monday to fully get into everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment