Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Nightingale floor: Exhibition day


Today was exhibition day, so most of the time was spent prepping for the night. We had to do the wiring on site so that it won't be such a hassle watching out for the wires when we're moving the two sections. Ben connected the two sections together and Jenna taped up the piezos into position on each plank for optimum vibration detection.


I connected the wires to chocolate blocks and then Jenna connected the other end of the wires to the Arduino.


And this is us testing out the floor. At first there were some glitches with which planks activated which sounds. They got a bit mixed up and at first some of them weren't responding quite so well.


However, in the end we got it working right on time. It turned out really well I think even though the program started frying up a bit when loads of people went on it at a time. It still worked nearly as well as we wanted it to though. Too many people on it actually made it sound more random and chaotic and made the distortions sound more obvious. This, I think was a good thing. So overall, I'm proud of my group's work and I think we did the best we could with all the time and effort we put in to that floor in a short time.




Now my favourites! I'll talk about my top three in no particular order.

My top three was double Cory, Chris + Josh, and Lee's group.

I loved how for double Cory the sound was inside the room and it really sounded like what they were going for. Sounded like there was something human and horrible was happening in the room and I like how you had to press your ear on the door to hear it more clearly as well. I think it was effective in evoking some strong imagery which works well with their concept on war.

Chris + Josh made some really beautiful sounds with their synths, I love the crescendo throughout the whole thing.

For Lee's group I enjoyed how scary it sounded. They used the space really well too, enhancing the atmosphere with the added light and the fan to create shadow.


Some other ones that I really liked was Nick's group and Jason's group. I really liked the salt water connecting the switches for Nick's group. I thought that was really interesting. With Jason's group I liked how personal their idea was to the history of the building.

And here's a recording of what my group's installation sounds like on its own, click the link to hear it.


Contribution:
We put so much effort in to this installation and I am so proud of what we've achieved in a short time.

As for individual work we did not have many blurred roles, there were some distinct ones. In this installation I was the mathematician, artist, and secondary fabricator.

While the structure of the floor was being decided upon a basic plan was needed with all the required angles and measurements in order to know what was the best way to build it. So using simple knowledge of angles and parallel lines I calculated all the angles that we needed to know and calculated the ratios between measurements of the lengths to work out whether we had enough wood or not to create a proper frame. During fabrication simple divisions of angles were also used in deciding where to cut the wood so that the angles were maintained. At first I forgot to do this, so to fix the problem, which widened the structure horrendously, I corrected the angle and Ben recut that particular length of wood.

As the artist I did the decorating, Ben did decorating as well. My main role for decorating at first was folding enough roses to put on to some of the planks, then I attached various materials as required to the planks to complete the look.

As a secondary fabricator I helped Ben up at the 3D labs in cutting the wood and putting it all together. I also helped Jenna with the wiring before the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment