Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Instrument-making: Improve design and make the final



Did more tests this morning and got some advice from Phil about the change in design. He said that I'd get a lot more sound and vibration if the strings are coming from the closed end of the can. I did some tests on that, and he was right. The sound was much better. Still a bit quiet though so I put a piezo mic in there as well. That amplified the sound quite well. Since this seems to work quite well with all strings I can now think up a better design for it.



This is the full diagram of the simplified and improved the design. It's now down to two cans with the open end facing downwards and all strings going up to the tuning place at the top. A three-sided wooden frame holds everything together. Can A has violin strings on it, which will be played by a bow. Can B has one rubberband string and one nylon string on it for plucking. Hopefully this would work out. I'm quite confident it would, but you can never be sure that it will. I'm considering ditching the bow, because when plucked the violin strings make really good sympathetic strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment