Friday, June 3, 2011

In the City: Heads

In the morning we couldn't get our radios working. The programming part was nearly there, but not quite. So we didn't have anything to show for the critique, however, we did have a chat with Kim instead about our project.

We still need a core to our project, the theme, the concept. I think that might be what's missing that's making creative thinking a little lost. So after the critique session we went to the interactive room for some quiet working space to think a little more about the project and what it's about for us. The idea developed further as we picked out some main themes. One of them was the strong interaction aspect of our project between people, so we got this idea of putting heads into part of our physical visualisation. The heads will house the servos in their hollow necks and the strings will come out from the mouth of the heads.

Jenna, Emile, and I went to carve them out of polystyrene while Tom stayed back to work on the on-screen visualisation on After Effects and the radios. It was the funnest day of the entire project and I think it boosted our morale. It definitely made me feel more positive and happy about the project.


We'll be making Tom's head on Tuesday. The next stage after that would be to put resin on all the heads and then after the resin has dried and set, acetone would be poured in to melt the polystyrene to make the heads hollow.

I'll admit that after the critique I was feeling really negative and depressed about the project, but after doing a bit of art on these heads I felt invigorated and happy. I think it boosted our group morale too because it was one thing that worked.

It was really really fun for me. I'm hoping that there would be a future project that would be more focused on art rather than programming, but I doubt that would ever happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment