Friday, August 24, 2012

Moving along


Wrote the story to get a clearer idea of what we're going, with general sequence of events. Even though we're only doing small parts of the game, it's easier to know what you're doing if you have the whole thing written out.

Drew down a bit of level-design for Tim as well, so that he can plan out and start making the actual world and gave Nick a huge list of models to make. Actually did the level-design before writing an overview of the story and little snippets about the characters. I think drawing out what I wanted in the game helped me come up with a simple story for it.



Drawing of what certain things roughly look like and where they should be


Another drawing of the same thing but with text to explain what the drawn objects actually are.


I still feel demotivated though, because for me I'm in charge of story but I don't know if I'm doing enough. Writing a story for a game is a bit different from writing a classic story, at least at this stage anyway. You still have back stories and you can add quite a bit of detail to those, but in the actual game not all the details show through because of the interactive nature of games. So while writing what happens in-game I have to keep it bare and simple, rather than full on detail. Gotta keep it simple too rather than a story that takes a long time to unfold because to show the story, we're only making small parts of the game. So maybe I can save the full story for supporting material in the exhibition instead?

I think now, my job is to gather and make supporting material that informs the work and ties everything together. We did plan to have a special book with drawings and story in it as part of the exhibition, so maybe I can start on that. I did write in my learning goals that I wanted to improve my writing and drawings, so I can definitely do that in preparing our exhibition material. I wrote that I wanted to do 3D modeling and maybe a bit of programming as well but since the roles specifically for that are taken up already and there are other jobs waiting for me to finish them, I think I'll focus on the writing and drawing instead. I'll still help out in giving feedback on how things should be placed, improvements on how things look and so on when needed though. In summary, I'll only do a bit of modeling and programming when I'm needed for that as I have my own role to look after and I don't want to hog all the work, which prevents the rest of my group from achieving their learning goals since the ones doing the modeling and programming explicitly said they wanted to do specifically that.

No comments:

Post a Comment