Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Test fabric


The original plan was to make the boxes out of stiffened fabric. I became doubtful that fabric would be strong enough though, but tested out stiffened fabric anyway. Above is a sample of fabric that was tested.

Actual fabric stiffener is expensive, so I looked around for other alternatives. One is a mixture of starch and water, which I used on the sample above. There were other alternatives too but they were more for hardening fabric after it was made in to your project rather than for preparation of the fabric to make it in to something else.

The fabric did get harder, but it wasn't strong enough for my liking. So I think it would be better to use card instead. It also has more of a connection to sustainability and the human presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment