Sunday, September 4, 2011

How many pleats


First step is deciding on the number of pleats. Judging from the two standard tato patterns I folded, which are the 17 and 32-sided tatos shown in previous blog entries, the less sides you have the more strength you get in the trap and the better it closes. More sides gives you a bigger hole, more aesthetically pleasing rotations because of how many pleats there are, but you get a weaker structure because in the pattern you will have narrower triangles that aren't so good for strength.

Pictured above from left to right are tatos folded from crease patterns I designed myself: 12-sided, 24-sided, and 15-sided. The design is drawn out in my journal as well as further developments towards my final product.

The number of sides here were chosen for ease in dividing 360degrees in a circle equally. The 12-sided one didn't give a hole to allow for a finger trap, it was the strongest though. 24-sided was way too weak and 15-sided still didn't really give a big enough hole for a good trap. So I decided to just stick with the 17-sided tato even though it can't divide evenly with 360degrees.

Now that pleat number is decided, I need to modify the crease pattern so that:

-It fits the CD inside
-Doesn't have a bottom so that two sides with a trap on it can be joined together to make a full trap

No comments:

Post a Comment