Monday, September 5, 2011

Patterns without a bottom


I had two different crease patterns to create a tato without a bottom. They're similar to each other, the only difference is the angle of rotation. I had to test that out because this pattern I created is NOT an ordinary pattern for a standard tato. In terms of basic structure I made it similar to the helix structure, which is a longish rectangular strip. This would give me something without a bottom. Then in the top area I gave the design the angle of rotation to close up the box, therefore the trap in a tato box.

The first design has a 45degree angle of rotation and the second one's angle is given when you connect the bottom right corner to the division at the top. The patterns I designs for these are also in my journal. See those for more clarity.

The 45degree one didn't work. It couldn't match up and close at all because the angle was too small for the number of pleats (17 pleats) to fit around the entire circle.

The second one worked but I'm not please with the result. First of all the structure was incredibly weak and the hole was disappointingly small. It's ugly too. I think the differences between this one and the beautiful standard tato is because in this one the pleating doesn't run down the sides of the box. Meaning that the angle of rotation begins at a different point and the size of the pleats would be different, completely changing the look and how well the self-lock property works.

I need to find a way around this.

No comments:

Post a Comment