Thursday, October 11, 2012

Formative presentation feedback - Clarification

The main feedback we got was that the game wasn't finished enough. This is fair enough as we have the individual parts, but still haven't managed to piece together all parts together yet. We're still working on this, and I do believe that by the final presentation it would be finished. Another very valid point is that since our game is still technically unfinished, we still don't have any results to this experimental game to fully answer the question. This is because without getting anyone to play it through yet, we can't test out which methods worked, which didn't, and why. So we don't actually know which methods are effective and whether or not it's to do with the context yet like we predicted. However, the short answer really is "Yes, you can tell a story through a game, but it depends on how well you do it. Also on how effective your particular methods were." The supporting results from the experiment would help in explaining the "why" to the answer, when we do piece it together and get people to play it through.

For individual feedback it says I need to clarify how I contributed to the group because the tutors were under the impression that my only contribution was in the writing.

Honestly, I was a bit miffed when Edrian made the mistake of saying Ben was in charge of storytelling. Because that was my job along with the writing. Perhaps it was the nerves or he stumbled in his speech. Nonetheless, I am annoyed.

But let me clarify here what I did for the group. I've made it very clear in past blogs what I've done, but I'll still clarify it here in case you missed anything.

My main role is to do the writing, and have a strong influence in developing the story. Yes, I have done this despite my disagreements with Ben for most of this semester. In fact, the evidence for this will be included in my journal hand-in. You will see all drafts for the stories I wrote for this project.

I did a bit of concept art at the beginning and quite a bit of research on how other games have told their stories and character archetypes within stories. I have also researched on people's experiences as a game writer and how that is different from writing for standalone print. This has been shown in my previous blogs.

I also helped Tim with the initial level design by drawing a map of it. Also included in a previous blog post.

I have planned and organised everything for the group. This means I've timetabled the schedule and kept track of where we are on the timeline. I've made sure that every member knows what's going on and that they know important information. For example, when they have to have something finished, when they must be here for full group meetings, and so on. The evidence of a timeline is included briefly in my journal.

I took over the leadership role while Ben was away. I made sure that we kept on developing on our ideas and trying to work out our problems. This was when we were stuck and confused with what we were doing because nothing seemed to fit. I have talked about this also in previous blogs.

In summary, I really have done more than just writing.

I also do agree that I need to "take a more active part in group presentations." I find that by myself in presentations I usually do alright. In a group though, I find it difficult to find a chance to jump in and have my say in presenting. Mainly because people wouldn't stop talking and I feel rude when I cut them off. But yes, I do agree that that is an area that needs improvement. I'd like to point out that to an extent I have improved from last semester, even though I'm not absolutely amazing and charismatic yet. Last semester I wouldn't even say a sentence unless a question was aimed directly at me. For which I am greatly relieved, because I actually really wanted to say something and am grateful for questions directed at me to give me that chance. That was also because it was hard for me to jump in when everybody was talking. This semester though I got more than three sentences in, which isn't a lot. But it's a start and it really is an achievement for me. Also, I'd like to remind you that in the previous formative assessment I did manage to take control over the presentation. That was the most I've said in this year's group presentations because I actually had a chance to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment