Friday, September 28, 2012

Mildly Worried

I'm mildly worried about my learning goals. At the beginning with our nomination forms I wrote down MANY things. This is because I didn't know what role I would be playing yet at the time.

Here's what I wrote:

"I'm aware of my flaws and what I can't do. As you can see I tend to move into a catatonic state when doing presentations where I have to talk and find it hard to talk in front of a lot of people. If this group remains the same, I believe a bit of their public speaking skills may rub off on me and I can learn through observation.

I'm a horrible programmer, to be honest. If I can get in on this project I think I can gain a better understanding on how to program and how it works. At some point I think I may have to program as well since a lot of roles will cross over and roles will change accordingly. So it would push me to learn and make me more confident in this area.

I have no idea what I want to do after graduating. That's why I'm going after things that I'm interested in. Other skills I'd like to have are 3D modelling and animation. I can very well pursue these interests within the group. I can learn and make things for the group as I go along.

One thing I'm good at is writing stories. I want to further develop this skill and really put it to use because I haven't had much of an opportunity to do that. This also applies with my art."


I've definitely improved my public speaking skills. So yes, I have achieved that particular learning goal. I've achieved my writing goal and art goal. Although the bit of art that I did for the project isn't likely to be used anywhere.

The goals that I'm really worried about are the programming, 3D modelling and animation ones. The main reason I didn't get to do any of those is because they're linked to specific roles. These roles were taken up by other members of the group and I took the role of writer. They have nothing to do with the role of the writer. Also, each individual role didn't overlap at all like I thought it would. So it was unnecessary for me to program, model, or animate. It makes more sense for the 3D modeller to animate the moving models since they can do it straight away in Maya. It doesn't make much sense to pass it on to another separate animator.

You could argue that I HAVE learned things about programming, 3D modelling and animation through observation. Is it learning if I haven't touched it directly though? For example, I've learned what each brush does in zBrush and how to pull at that sphere to make something else. For example, a head. I only know that from watching Tim though. I've learned that in Maya it's easier to make a model with orthographic references. I've also learned that you don't want triangles in your mesh, because you could get slicing happening in your model. This I learned by listening to Nick. I've learned that in Unity3D you want to export your models as .obj or .fbx in Maya for it to work properly. I've learned a whole bunch of little things from listening and watching my team members. However, I haven't applied what I learned. I haven't made anything to do with those skills yet. So I'm not sure if it counts as learning or having achieved a learning goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment