Thursday, June 14, 2012

Networks: Presentations

Today's presentation day. In our exhibition, it's done in a narrative style where our rails, engines, and prototypes are artifacts from the character set up similarly to museum exhibitions.

On to other group's presentations. For me, the ones that stood out and interested me the most were Chris L's and Tom's group.

Chris L's project explores the relationship between people and objects and how these relationships branch out and you find certain similarities between different people. She said she wanted to leave in a train and see where the book travels meeting different people who leave their marks in the book. I think whether the book is ever seen again doesn't actually matter. In contrast, the mystery of it is far more interesting and appealing to me. The idea that the book gathers its own personal history through different people is what makes it so attractive. If you see it again, you see it again. If you don't, then you don't. It's just like in real life when you meet people because relationships between people are impermanent. Eventually, we all will have to part ways. This in my view, shows up with the book. How theoretically people with similar objects could get along, but whether or not anything happens is up to chance as well as the path the book takes.

Tom's project seems like it would be fun to go on. What I like about it is the sense of achievement I imagine you would get if you go on the bike for a little while and get the video playing as a reward.

Other projects I want to see during open night is Matt's group with the plants being in an environment controlled by the computer and Lee's group with the simulation of the marine ecosystem. I'll have a post about these two groups tomorrow, I expect that they'll both be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment