Thursday, July 21, 2011

Field Recordings: Put everything together


Last night I sorted the tracks I liked into a folder and then colour coded them to. The green ones are purely natural sounds, the yellow ones are natural sounds with evidence of human existence in them, the orange ones are city sounds with sounds of humans, and the red ones are pure city sounds that are common to hear in the city.

We're not going with that idea anymore though because it turns out that a lot of groups already have the same idea as us. We want to break away from that and have a more unique track of sounds to playback. It's probably because we're over-thinking this composition and not really treating the sounds purely as sounds and letting the source of the sound take over the composition instead of the actual quality and feel of the sounds.


Our composition got put together on Emile's laptop. Emile started with the basic frame of it, then I messed up the order in the middle, and Cory tweaked it up and made some changes. Chris then came back and gave us her opinion on it, then fixed up some small things together. Now all we need to do is do the final edit tomorrow morning and export it as an MP3 for our blogs. It's interesting how we mashed everything together and how in the end it sounded like something that made sense. To me, it sounds like being distracted in the classroom. When you're in class and a whole lot is happening outside distracting you.

I'm not used to how we put our composition together to be honest. It was really unplanned and experimental. I'm more used to having everything planned and structured so I think I should do this more to be able to be more flexible and work with different approaches. I think using this experimental approach would be better for usual studio work as well because it gives you the freedom to develop your ideas/concepts instead of pinning down something that's concrete and too literal.


In class today we got shown more examples of turning noise into art. When I was at home I did do a little looking around and saw a video about Pierre Schaeffer as well involving Musique Concrete. I didn't like it much though because I thought those particular noises were annoying and didn't invoke any particular emotion in me other than annoyance.

Dead C was quite nice though. I loved their noise but not their vocals. I think the vocals really ruined it for me because it sounded like they were trying to sing but failed. I think it would be better if they were trying to sound horrible on purpose. It's like my appreciation for green tea. It tastes unpleasant because it tastes like mud. But I like it because it makes me appreciate everything else a bit more.

Kusum Normoyle's screams were fun to watch and interesting to listen to. I actually have a fascination with screams and sometimes I have random moods to hear screams, especially when I'm angry with someone or when I feel depressed. I think what that says about me is that I really really want to take my anger out on people who angered me, but I refrain. That doesn't mean the desire is any less strong though.

The Zune Lee lecture in all honesty was boring. But his work seemed to be really fun to play with. I loved the game where the vocalists and fish affect the game. The fish one is fun because I imagine that it would feel like you're playing with the fish. It makes fish seem more exciting as a pet. My absolute favourite was the audio-visual juice and cocktails. It makes the preparation of juice and cocktails more fun and exciting. I wonder if it tastes good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment