Tuesday, July 23, 2013

New Semester, New Project

This semester I'm doing a new project on my own. It's to improve on an existing work I did last year I for Aotea Centre's DAL exhibition.

The context for the work was to show the world the artist painted in a different way. So the painting changes perspective depending where you are in front of the painting. Giving a sense that you are looking at a different world through a window.

In the improvement I plan to do this semester is to add a layer of context to the new work. Also, instead of paintings, this time the works are musical pieces. The context in question is more about the composer. For example, why they wrote the piece, what it was for, who they were as people, what time and place did they live in, and so on. Then to express these aspects of their music into a landscape.

Thus, the key thing I want to do here is to translate music into a landscape that reflects the world of the composer.

I originally planned out four different paths I can go through to approach this project. However, I quickly realised that it's a trap that I usually trick myself into walking into. I find that I always fool myself into thinking that no matter how much time I have there will never be enough time. Then I panic and begin to make restrictive plans. These plans hurt my project more than anything else. Because they trap me into a very narrow space so I can't really branch out and think in more interesting ways. In this way, the project doesn't develop or grow, but is stunted. Now that I'm aware of this I can relax and begin doing more research to expand ideas instead of caging myself into a small space.

I think the talk about group dynamics we did helped me realise this a lot sooner than I normally would have. I got maximum scores Completer-Finisher for the Belbin roles. I'm not surprised at all to be honest because if I think something is wrong I can't stop thinking about it until it's properly fixed. However, I wonder how effective the models for group dynamics we were shown are in real life situations. There must be many more different models and I'm guessing the effectiveness differs depending on personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment